Lead scoring is a shared sales and marketing methodology for ranking leads in order to determine their sales-readiness. You score leads based on the interest they show in your business, their current place in the buying cycle and their fit in regards to your business.

Companies can score leads by assigning points, implementing rankings like A, B, C, D, or using terms like ‘hot’, ‘warm’ or ‘cold’. The key point is that marketing and sales increase their combined efficiency and productivity based on the clarity of a sales-ready lead.

Lead scoring helps companies know whether prospects need to be fast-tracked to sales or developed with lead nurturing. The best lead scoring systems use demographic and firmographic attributes, such as company size, industry, and job title; as well as behavioral scoring such as clicks, keywords, and web visits.

The goal of lead scoring is to identify which leads are ready to move to sales and

which leads require further nurturing. No lead should be left behind.

Lead scoring is not:

  • A stand-alone marketing process because sales’ input is essential to identify

a “qualified” lead

  • Cherry-picking hot leads while ignoring the rest of the database

Why Does My Business Need Lead Scoring?

According to a RainToday.com report, less than 25% of new leads are sales-ready. So how do you know when it’s time to make the call? How do you nurture and close the remaining 75%? Lead scoring helps you engage in activities that drive revenue on both fronts by streamlining lead flow and improving productivity and efficiency between marketing and sales.

Lead scoring helps marketing and sales teams identify ready-to-buy individuals or organizations and the leads that need ongoing nurturing. Using scoring information, companies can drive marketing and sales productivity, and increase revenue more quickly.